Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Feeling Spring

Spring is in the air!
I can feel it, even though it has snowed the past two days.
My crocus and tulips are coming up.
I always get a little bit dreamy in the spring.
As if I'm not bad enough already.

Blossoms, tulips, rain, everything coming alive and green.
*sigh* I'm full of whimsy today.



So, as you can imagine I have fun decorating this time of year.
Last year I went with bolder colors, but I have decided that I like the pastels the best.

These are not real blooming branches.
Keep reading I'll tell you how I made these.




I made these little wreaths too.
I couldn't live with out a hot glue gun.



But my favorite is this.
My "faux" blossoming branches.

Super easy to make.
Clip yourself some tree branches. Then trim them up and arrange them in a vase or pitcher.

Get some faux flowers, (I think mine came from geraniums)
And pull the flowers off the stems.
Glue them randomly on the branches. Try to glue where a blossom would really be.
Make it as full or as sparse as you like.

Rachael's Tight-Wad Moment:
I have used these same flowers for the past 5 years.
Each year I just pull them off the branches and put them in a baggie to use again.

The hardest part of this project is finding branches, for me at least.
All the trees in our yard are new (the previous home owners never planted any trees),
so I have to scavenge for branches.

But it turns out so pretty.

Happy hot-gluing! Don't burn yourself.




7 comments:

Teresa said...

I love your faux blooming branches! I forced some forsythia to bloom indoors a few weeks ago but now they are blooming outside and look so nice I hate to chop any off. I'm been longing for some more branches and this is the perfect answer, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Rachael, What a talent and fun creative side you have! I will have to make this. They are so simple yet so delicate and pretty!~Amy

Shannon said...

I love your mantel! The monochromatic / pastel colours are lovely! And those faux blooming branches - brilliant!
Shannon
(www.akadesign.ca)

Jennifer said...

I am in love with your whole mantel, wall, decor, everything! It's gorgeous! You have a great eye!! Would you link it up to my party?

http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/03/features-and-latest-and-greatest-24.html

Jane said...

I've never been to your blog before, but I am sure to return. Beautiful job!!

Erin Spain said...

Hi Rachael,

Your mantel is beautiful! Just wanted to let you know that I featured it on my blog today.

-Erin Spain
DIYOntheCheap.com

Rachel said...

So creative, very nice! Will have to try this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...